Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tamkharit

Tamkharit is the Muslim celebration for the New Year. It comes one month after Tabaski. This year it is celebrated on December 16. There is the traditional dish served in Senegal for this holiday. It is a Senegalese couscous served with a tomato sauce, vegetables, with meat. It is not the same couscous served in North Africa and the Middle East but just as delicious.

It has become a Senegalese tradition for people to go from house to house with friends after the meal. Children spend the week before Tamkharit making the drums they will play for this evening of celebration. The drums are often made from tin cans and sometimes just a plastic container is sufficient. Of course there are those who have friends with drums, but a sound, any sound is all that is required.

These house-to-house visits include performances. Children sing and dance and each group has a treasurer. If the people they perform for like their performance, they give the performers a few coins, or sugar, or rice. This is then used by the group to buy candy or for food prepared for or by the group members.
Info courtesy of E.S.

How I spent my Tamkharit
So since I'm currently doing training, and we as Peace Corps volunteers don't technically have off for any holidays, Senegalese or America, I spent most of my day in training. After training I went to a friends house, who I consider my sister and we hangout whenever I'm in the neck of her woods. The celebration started around sunset although I did not make it there till 7ish.

When I got there, her mom gave me some of the delicious couscous, with an onion sauce with meat and lots of vegetables. According to my friend they had been preparing this meal the entire day. The couscous is made from scratch and some families usually kill a goat. They have also been eating there and there the entire day. They even eat the couscous with meal. (so guess they just drink that, because its very watery).

Later on some kids came by and gave the family a bowl of the food their parents made. Some boys came by dressed as women with wigs, make-up and everything. Others came as musicians. My friends family just gave them a cup full of rice for coming over.

I heard, in other cases, the main goal is for people to dress like who they are not normally. Example, the poor dress like the rich and vice versa, men like women, and vice versa, kids likes adults and vice versa, etc.

Overall it was a good experience getting to experience their new year's. However, I wish I was home so I could see how my family and town celebrates this new year.



No comments:

Post a Comment