Monday, December 27, 2010

The 3rd Annual Black Arts Festival

A big cone in the middle of the city

This year the 3rd black arts festival was celebrated, which was started by the first president of Senegal. It is suppose to be a festival celebrating all the black arts around the world. There were such grand plans for the festivals but only a few manifested. The country was not prepared by the date of the festival, which is from the 18 of December through the 31st. There were a lot of no shows, people canceling, or and things being postponed. Some of the concerts spaces were not ready; a museum that was supposed to open is still under construction.

OH but there is always light at the end of the tunnel and I am glad I was part of the celebration. I was able to see the opening ceremony on T.V. in Dakar. It was very interesting with some speeches. Wycleef was supposed to perform that same night BUT that got postponed to the next day.
There is a big statue that in honor of the renaissance that was finished. I still have to make that journey up the hill to see it (one of my things to do next while in Dakar).

I was able to see a photography display, a display of South African Arts and clothing. I was also able to see Lucky, the first human being on earth that was discovered in Ethiopia. I also got to see the skull of an ape, which was much older than Lucky.

To top it all off I was serenaded by the band Casave (I hope that’s how it’s spelt) from the Caribbean, Rick Ross was supposed to be in attendance but GUESS WHAT? He did not make it. 


All in all I was glad I was a part of this history because who knows when the next one would be. Overall it was fun getting to learn about black arts and its culture. 
Clothes from South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment