Saturday, December 18, 2010

Frustrations.. All I want is my money

Okay. This is just a quick venting entry.


Lets see, where do I begin. It all started with the Peace Corps opening our bank accounts, for our living allowance. First off, I'm in the forgotten region, all the way down south where most people in Dakar or the North I've ever heard off. Due to this, people in the region use a different bank than the rest of Peace Corps. Luckily enough a branch of the bank that Peace Corps normally uses was just opned down there. YAYAY. So with my group we had an option of staying with what other people already used in our region or go with the Peace Corps bank. I chose the Peace Corps banks because, it can be used whereever in Senegal unlike the other, which is only in my region for the most part.


Okay so since I requested this change, I did  not get my debt card with the rest of my group, I got it 6weeks later. So during those times if I needed money I had to write a check to myself. (yes I just cant't go to the bank and take money out, I can only write checks to myself).


So that was one stumble block I had to get over. When I came to Thesis to pick up my card, the first bank I went to said they did not have it, it was at the other bank. Went to the other bank and the the guy said, No your card is not here you have to go where you opened the account. Then I said well NOO your other bank said it was here... OH: then he went into the back and looked and what do you know it was there.


So,  got the card, tired using it at the ATM BUT I could not get money out. My pin was correct it, I could see my balance I just could not take money out. Spent about an hour at the bank, getting a tour of the bank, going to each person and station and nothing could be done. They just kept saying go to the branch were you opened the account.


So that was unsuccessful, therefore, I called the Peace Corps and a day later it was fixed; I was able to get money out. I went back again a couple of days later and I am back at square one. (I'm having the same issue, I cannot take money out). Went to the bank today but nothing was resolved. Now I have to wait  till Monday.


Just a fun story to show you how the system works here in Senegal. Customer service does not exist.


I shall keep you posted.


P.S. I'm not only one have thins problem, lol. The people that decided to switch banks are all having the same issue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment