Saturday, September 11, 2010

Yes I'm American

So as a black person doing the Peace Corps the toughest battle I've faced so far is proving to Senegalese people that I'm truly American. That I'm not Senegalese and I DONT SPEAK WOLOF. I keep having to argue with people, telling them I am from America. Some just don't believe me and say I'm not telling the truth and I really don't work for Peace Corps. Some even asked how come I'm black if I'm from America. Yea I don't think they catch much TV in the villages.

So the kids and even some adults call the  White people (sorry for being political incorrect.. BUT you know me) Toubabs and run up to shake their hands. I mean for them it can get annoying with billions of kids just chanting TOUBABS.. BUT for me they just don't say anything if I'm alone because they do think I'm Senegalese.

However when, I'm with the other volunteers and I try to shake their hands, They are just like NOOO we want to shake the TOUBABS hands..  You are one of us..

SO I just hope this does not pose a problem for me with my work for the next two years. People thinking I'm not a real Volunteer I just want to spend their money or whatever. Soooo we shall see how that goes..

4 comments:

  1. euh TECHNICALLY they are right. you are not AMERICAN per say. tho you come from there the location your roots are very well established in the land of SIERRA LEONE!! haaaaaaa.LOL
    but still thats wrong of them but it should not be a surprise to you either. encounters with the typical american (toubab)doenst happen often for them. i am sure with time and through your work you will prove them wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know how that feels. when i was in the mombasa working on project last summer. they are so sure u are one of them and u are not american
    bu u know what after a while when u start doing your work, and doing it well. they will want to shake ur hand lol

    also there are some benefits if they think u are one of them they might relate better with u and after u start ur assignments and start helping the community it think, they will trust u more

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry Pam, overall, this is not funny, but when I started to read it, I busted out laughing. I wonder though, because most people can tell I'm mixed, would they still think I was one of them? It does suck though, how some people associate America with only white people...

    ReplyDelete