Monday, August 1, 2011

America: I Appreciate You

The more I learn about the Senegalese culture, its people, and values the more I’ve come to truly appreciate America and the comforts its offers to those who are fortunate enough to live there. There are things that are just part of the American life, which one takes for granted that becomes quite eminent, while leaving in the middle of no where.


And no it’s just the obvious things that you that are just a evident part of life, the yang to the yang of life, such as, clean running water, 24hrs electricity, Aced rooms, internet 24/7, a sit down toilet. Or not even a properly function car, people being on time, health care, etc functioning public transportation system, getting everything I need without leaving the house(although that I do miss sometimes, lol).


It’s the abstracts and sometimes not so abstract things like the right to a free education, the time allotted for I, JUST TO BE A KID, a government that helps me out when I fall down on luck, the right to choose, free thinking, to be independent, to dream, to believe, that I can be whatever I choose, and that the sky is truly the limit. The choice to have and make educated decision, having education discussions, to hold my political leaders accountable, (now with it been election season), to see free and (maybe not so) fair elections, the change of command without major hassle, or the president trying to change the constitution to suit his needs. With all this election hoopla, I just think back to the day President Obama took the oath of office and became the 44th president of the United States. Most people did not like it, hated him but, its was done drama free, its just amazing to see such peaceful transfer of power that most countries don’t enjoy and most people of the world will never experience.


I do also miss the customer is always right, as customer service is nonexistent in this country. Sometimes you would think you were begging people to give you their products for free, by the way they act towards their customers. I also miss being treated as an equal because of my gender. Here I’m just a second class citizen, were my opinion does not matter and my only domain is in the domestic arena.


Most of all I miss the right to just be ME. I always have to constantly defend why I do things the way I do things. The way I dress, walk, do my hair, talk, etc.


One thing journey has helped be realized is how fortunate I was to grow up in the United States, things that we take for granted that are just the way of life are not even foreseen in this culture. It has made me truly proud to be an American, and now I see what all the fuss is about for that blue book. (American passport).

Rebeled and did some twists

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. Part of me is envious that you're able to truly appreciate such things but another part of me couldn't handle going without those things in order to truly appreciate them. So yeah, you're a trooper Pammie!

    ReplyDelete