Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My New Family/Town

I am now Kadiatu Camara. My permanent site is Velingara.  It is all the way in the south, SOO far from Dakar and closer to the Gambia. It used to be spelled Weligara, which means a good place to come. BUT apparently it was changed by the colonizers because they could not pronounce it.
I have two moms, the 1st wife and I guess my mom is called Asatou. She has a different last name than me; as wives keep their last names and the kids take the last name of their dad’s. My dad is Saliou Camara. I have five siblings; one is in Spain, the eldest, and one younger brother. I don’t live in the same compound as this family. I live like two blocks away at my mom’s sister’s compound. Where I guess my grandmother use to be, and she died a couple of days before I moved in. (Thank God). I know that may sound cold but I don’t want to be around for family funerals, it’s kind of awkward.
So at my compound I have my aunt and her kids and I called them brothers and sisters too. It is kind of hard knowing how people are related here, as everyone calls each other, mom, sister, brother and dad, or uncle.

I have my own bathroom and a backyard next to the bathroom, which is my kitchen. I have a well and a tape in my compound. I use the well water to shower and other household needs. And I use the tape water to drink, cook and wash my face, I think the well water is making me breakout. There are fishes in my well which makes the water taste bad. The water has been contaminated and it would become worse when the fishes die in there. I guess we would cross that bridge when we get there although my family does not seem to be bothered by it. I have suggested they take the fishes out but they say no. I have huge bed. Bigger, than normal beds. Thanks to my predecessor, who left it for me. Three people can sleep on there comfortable without touch each other both ways. The foam is comfy. It is my refugee and my safety zone.

The family is cool. I like them, although people just keep barging into my room without asking or knocking. ESPECAILLY, the men. I mean even when the door is closed they would just open and come in.
Bugs, rats, rodents and everyone in that family are my new Bffs but I am getting screens put in. Which I think (know) they are over charging me for. I will get to that in a different entry.

I love my aunt she is cool. Although they keep asking me to buy stuff or give them stuff. One thing though Senegalese are SOOOOO indirect, I wish they would be more direct and come out and say what they want or what is bothering them. So instead of asking me Pam (kadiatu) can you buy me this, or I would like you to give me this they would be like, I wish I had this, I want to buy this and my response it “OK”..  Great go buy it then. And they should not know you have something they would always want to borrow it. I just want to ask them, what did you do before I was here people.
I’m having a hard time just telling them NOOOOO because I hate saying no, and I want to avoid as much confrontation as possible but, we shall see how that go.
I love the town, it’s a bit big but small enough for people to still know everything. Electricity is pretty much 24/7 minus a few times. There is pastry shop like a 10 minute walk from my house. There is some okay street food, so they town is not that bad.

Sooooooooooooo this is my new life for the next two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment