Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's Festive Season

So it’s around 10:30 p.m here and I’m just coming from the market. I guess shopping. Just ate dinner. I guess no matter where we come from, no matter how different our backgrounds and cultures, we are all still human beings. Girls will be girls. I just came from the market with the women in my compound. We were, well they were out shopping for shoes and the last necessities for the big fete tomorrow. November, 16 (tomorrow) would be Tabaski but must just call it julide, which means pray day in fulla.

We had went earlier in the day, spent about four hours in the market, and most still did not get what they wanted, hence our  return in the evening. The market was crowed like free things were been handed out. Everyone was touching, stepping on each other trying to get around. The food market, which is usually the liveliest was the dullest, as most women were concerned with getting jewelry, shoes, est. Lunch was later than usual as we came back from the market super late and someone had to prepare it. They have been asking me for money to buy this and that. I ended up buying some food, so they could include it in the meal  tomorrow, a jewelry set for one, gave one some money for shoes and bought materials so all the girls in the family could do henna, which we have still not done yet. I guess that would be one of the morning activities.

For days now women and children have been getting their hair done, braids, weaves, etc. Tailors are working into the wee-hours to finish their client clothes. I think they’ve only been getting a couple of hours rest during this week and this past week. My brothers whom are tailors I only see briefly at night when they come home for dinner (they don’t even bother coming home for lunch) and a quick bath.
So after lunch the women got started again on doing hair, which is still going on now. Right outside my room door. It’s like the Grammy’s as one of the other volunteer’s put it. EVERYONE is in high spirits getting ready.

Then around seven we went back to the market, and it is STILL CROWDED… the market usually is closed by this hour. Around five everyone is starting to close their shops and go home NOT TODAY…. It is still lively at ten O’clock at night. Everyone is trying to sell off their reaming goods; people are still trying to find the perfect shoes, perfume and even some, extensions and weaves.
Needless to say this was a fun evening getting to see the women in action. Although it’s not my scene, (as you all know, I’m not into the shopping and finding a “good barging”) it made me realized women all around the world ARE ALL THE SAME… They welcome the opportunity to go shopping, to buy/make new outfits and to get dulled up for the day. Splurging and spending money, which could come in handy later. I had fun joking around with the women as it seems the only thing on their mind is looking pretty and also making sure their kids are up to par.

Therefore,  I can’t wait to see everyone tomorrow all dulled and ready to eat their sheep or goats. However, apparently for this great pray day, only men, young children, and old ladies would go praying in public tomorrow at the grand park and the mosques. One of the women was explaining if they go they would get their period (menstrual) for a year. Did not quite understand that.
However, I am going just to take pictures and see what the fuss is about.. PRAY FOR ME.. that I don’t getting  a yearlong menstrual.

I can’t wait for tomorrow… I will update on how the day went.

No comments:

Post a Comment