Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I am now EATING. YAYAYAY

The food is good. SOOO much better than what I had during training. BUT that was a long fight too.

Let me explain…….SO the guy before me, ate at our mom’s and dad’s house. AND THERE FOOD well lets just say it’s not up to par and I would have been doing all my cooking or just starve if I had continued that tradition. That was the original plan, make all my meals. BUT my dad was NO you have to eat with us, Amhed did (the guy I replaced). They do that here a lot do comparisons between the previous volunteer and the current one. This did that and that you should do the same. NOOOOOOO we are two different people and that was after two years of living here. Okay, so I made up my mind that I would just take a couple of bites and then eat in my room.

THEN one day, I tasted the food at the compound I am living and it was AMAZING, compared to what I’ve been having, so I was like why don’t I just eat at this house. This BECAME A BIG ISSUE….. I spoke to my dad, he was like talk to your mom, that family cannot afford to take care of you, I take care of them and I am thinking of cutting them off since my mother-in-law is deceased.
And mom was like well I am in charge of you Peace Corps gave volunteers to me, you are my responsibility, I am your mother you have to eat here and they cannot afford another mouth to feed.

Well..(all this in my head)… you are not my responsibility I am on my own, the Peace Corps gave us to the city and not you alone, usually we eat where we sleep, the other guy only ate there because he was living in your compound before, and I do make contribution, so they can afford to feed me. Your food is not up to par. Plus that family eats better than you, they can cook, they are not as poor as you think, at least they have fish every day and meet at least once a week and with you I’m lucky if I see any fish. Yet again poverty for them is measured on a different scale. Who has the T.V. is richer. I say who can eat better and can afford vegetables and meet in their bowl is richer.

ANYWAYS, long story short after about a week of going back and forth and getting another volunteer involved all was resolved. I now eat where I sleep and the food is good. DON’T get it twisted it’s not AMAZING for American standards… but it is AWESOME and better than what I would have been getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment