Friday, February 11, 2011

Pam, the Painter

Computer screen



On Tuesday and Wednesday, I got to demonstrate my poor art skills. I mentioned I would be offering some computer workshops to students, professors, and some parents at high school, in a nearby village. In the computer room, I painted some murals, just to beautify the room, and help as a teaching tool for the classes. The work was mostly done by another volunteer, Charlene, she is such an artist. She did everything free hand, and all I had to do was color in lines. Even that I messed up, lol… BUT Charlene saved the day and made it look beautiful. Now the salle (room) is beautiful, so let the formations (workshops) begin. Everyone in the school was happy with the paintings and OFFCOURSE them being Senegalese, they want more.

I funded this out of pockets; it was around $35 for everything. I still have some paint and stuff over, so I may do other paintings, or just try and beautify my room a bit. I’m so happy it turned out lovely and everyone likes is. And more grateful to Charlene for all her hard work.

To add on to this I have schedule two weekends, one in February and in, March in which I and the technology teacher would be holding computer workshops. One day would be dedicated to teachers and the other to the students.

back of the computer
My plan for making this suitable is teaching a group of about 12 students, which was already formed into a computer club; and also the teachers. After that the students would become teachers and teach their pairs, with the help of the technologic teacher. But it will be mostly the students teaching. I had proposed to the principal that he gives each student 2hours each month dedicated to computer lessons, BUT he said no as that would take away from the academic calendar, in which computer lessons are not programmed. But he did offer that maybe twice a month; for the two hours students have in class, the classes would break up in two, one classes could be in the computer lab and the other in regular classes, after an hour they switch. I’m also encouraging the teachers to give students homework that require them using the internet and Microsoft Office. This was the students can mess around on the computers on their own time.

comp, the front
I love this school. The people here are soo motivated and willing to work, they are the one actually pushing everything, I just offer what I can. The most motivated set of people I’ve have worked with thus far. SO I will keep you updated on this work.



keyboard
Charlene hard at work

No comments:

Post a Comment