Friday, February 11, 2011

It's Already been six months

Me and my gene pants
 Today marks my 6 months anniversary in country, four months as a volunteer. Can you believe, almost half a year gone already?  It all seems like yesterday, I was getting off the plane and been hit by blistering heat at 5am in the morning. As I’m writing this, I’m in bed sick. In the afternoon I threw up a couple of times, I have a headache, stomachache, possible diarrhea. My first sickness/diarrhea since been in country, the diarrhea has been going on for about three weeks, BUT today was just a shitty day. I’m stuck drinking O.R.S, YUCK.. But thanks to Mike my AWESOME site mate, he made it tasty.
 
My awesome Mike planting me trees
On that note its soo funny how I’ve grown fond of Mike and we can tolerate each other now. We’ve come a long way since training. I mean after all, we are all we got. He has been awesome in giving advice; although his means are bit crazy he always comes through in the end. Like for example as soon as I told him I threw up, he was here before I hung up. He made me O.R.S, filled my filter, told me what to do and came back later to check on me. And I’m pretty sure he’ll be here in the morning too. I’m so grateful for having a site mate so close. I think we are the closest volunteers in country. Others have their closest neighbors 15k away, mine is just a two minute walk away.

I have also learned to rely on my Peace Corps family, as they have helped me go through the hard times, sometimes they are there to keep the candle morning, when it almost goes extinct. We have all joined the land of hospitality, sharing, giving and so helpful to each other. I’ve become good friends with people I will never consider friends in the U.S. I guess that all the part of growing, a cycle, people change and the things they learn to love and appreciate also change.

Not too   diminish the efforts of you guys back home, my friends and loved ones, all my lovers. Thanks to you guys for checking on me, kind words, words of inspiration and keep be updated on the U.S. I won’t be able to do this if you weren’t there to keep my sanity and know I have something to look forward to after these two years are up. I feel like I’m here, life is passing me by. You guys are all growing up, getting jobs, Masters, and moving o with your life. Just DON’T FORGET.. I’ll be BACK to claim m spot!!!!

These six months I’ve gotten extra close to my mommy. It so funny, I never knew that was possible. Don’t get me wrong I always loved my Mommy but I was always daddy’s girl. But when my dad died she took his place and now been here I have really really depended on her. After the PC family, which will never understand all, she is my confidant.  I find myself calling her more often, when I have a bad day, need to let out some frustrations, she kind of always knows what to say to get be going. After all I am her baby so, she is taking extra care with me.

Knowing and been from Africa, I did not know this experience would be so hard. Although most things don’t surprise me, I had never had to experience it before. Yea I knew people took bucket baths, had no plumbing, used outside bathrooms in open space, used water for toilet paper, eat with their hands, get water from the well, eat the same thing over and over, don’t use soap. BUT I had never had to experience or do these things myself. Now I found myself doing most of these things, sharing a cup, spoon a bowl with five or more people, eating with dirty snotty children.

I find myself doing this I thought were crazy, making funny sounds, avoiding the sun, not respecting time, following the sun to plan my days, sit around talking and drinking tea, playing with kids that are not always so clean. I find myself making new friends every day. I thought it would be hard working here, been black and people thinking I’m Senegalese.  Although I don’t get the Toubab and much of the harassments that my colleagues do I am still respected after people are convinced I am really American. I found people talking to me, remembering me just after an encounter. I get some special treatment, like extra salad from the fish salad lady, shop owners selling things I want.

I don’t think I’ll however get use to people not been motivated, been so noisy and not respecting personal space. They ALWAYS want to touch you, THAT, I don’t think I’ll get use to, heck I don’t even like hugging my friends. Here you are just not allowed personal time, or time to oneself, people automatically think something is wrong, they get upset and think its all their fault, When I may really need is some alone time. I always have to explain, where I’m going, why I’m going and all that. It’s like been a child all over again but I have to report to about 10 different people.

I cannot get use to been second class as the women here. People always asking me why aren’t I married and have kids by now. Although here, I am considered higher than a women, because I’m not from here, but I am still not equal to man, and sometimes I am more superior and have all the answers because I am American. (Just had vomit break).

Needless to say, I have loved my experience thus far. Yesterday I had e visit from our security guy and our doctor. The doctor asked, on a scale from 1-10, 1 been worst and 10 been happiest, where I am I with my whole experience I said a 9. Thinking about it maybe a 8, lol.. BUT I do love it here expect for my mom and dad’s compound I’m enjoying it. Taking in the seconds, minutes, hours and days as they go by.  Obviously there are days, I just want to tear the heads of my family and the people I work with BUT Hey, that would happen anywhere I am, TIS LIFE.

So for now, I’m still here, I hear no ET (Early Termination) bells. I’m here and would  be here till the very end.

Love you all!!!!!!

At the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment